Saturday, April 10, 2010

Volunteering at Lakeport Library

For two hours today, I volunteered at the Lakeport Library. I pull items from the shelves for which people have submitted hold requests: books, audio books, DVDs and music recordings. I scan their barcodes into the computer to get their routing information, prepare a tag that indicates where in our three-county library system each item is to go and finally I pack them for delivery.

Consider that other people at other libraries are doing much the same thing at least three times a day. The Sonoma County Library, which hosts our catalog, stated in a recent newsletter that 800,000 hold requests are generated in one year. I cited the figure a few weeks ago in my newspaper column.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.