Saturday, August 11, 2012

YA book blog: Keys to the Kingdom

Book cover: Mister Monday by Garth Nix

I’ve checked out the first three books in Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom from the Middletown library: Mister Monday (Scholastic, 2003), Grim Tuesday (2004) and Drowned Wednesday (2005).

Even though I’m no longer contributing to a class “book blog,” I would consider these worthy additions among books that I recommend for young adults.

The stories involve a boy, Arthur Penhaligon, to whom a stranger gives a key that is shaped like the hand of a clock. He soon finds himself pursued by strange creatures intent on recovering the key.

I am midway through the second book and I find the stories lively and fast-paced, with plenty of action and narrow escapes.

The first two books are shelved in the juvenile section of my library but the third is shelved in young adult. I think the books could appeal to a wide range of ages in readership.

The series continues with Sir Thursday (2006), Lady Friday (2007), Superior Saturday (2008) and Lord Sunday (2010). All of the books are available through the combined catalog of our Lake, Mendocino and Sonoma County libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.