Monday, September 3, 2012

Fragments of an SCA history

One of the best arguments for back-dating my writings and migrating them onto my blog is the reasonable assurance that they will continue to exist for as long as I allow them to.

I went looking today for a history of my involvement in the Society for Creative Anachronism. I wrote it more than 15 years ago and submitted it to the website of the Shire of Ravenshore in Lake and Mendocino counties.

Heraldic device: the Shire of Glyn Dwfn
Shire of Glyn Dwfn
I wanted to to share my history with a potential community, the Shire of Glyn Dwfn in the Principality of the Summits in the Kingdom of An Tir.

But I discovered today that the site was taken down and with it my history that documents honors earned in the Principality of the Mists and Kingdom of the West.

The only fragment that remains is my service as Chronicler, because I incorporated that information into social media resumes on Facebook and LinkedIn:

I served as Chronicler for the Shire of Wolfscairn (Sonoma County, Calif.) from October, A.S. XXX (1995) to September, A.S. XXXIII (1998). And I served as Chronicler for the Principality of the Mists (San Francisco Bay Area) from September, A.S. XXXII (1997) to November, A.S. XXXIV (1999).

I guest-blogged the benefits of my involvement in the SCA for the Autism Women’s Network on May 6, 2011. Among those benefits was meeting professional deadlines as a newsletter publisher.

As I related in the guest blog, I think this experience served me well later in my professional capacity as a newspaper paginator/editor.

In 2010, Daniel J. Vance published an interview with me as an editor on the autism spectrum. In it, I credit the SCA as “the high note” of my life, a place where I met my husband and felt accepted for the first time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.