Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer reading at Jackson County libraries

Summer reading programs for children, teens and adults began today at Jackson County Library Services. Most significant to this library student, volunteer and advocate is the adult program, “Groundbreaking Reads.

JCLS promotes the summer reading program as an antidote to “Summer Slide.” An infographic on its Facebook page cites studies showing that access to books during the summer prevents a loss of reading skills among students.

While “Summer Slide” should no longer be an issue for a committed life-long learner, I appreciate the opportunity to revisit an important influence. I would not be the avid reader I am today without regular visits to my library.

From now until Aug. 11 I can submit a “reading log” each time I finish (read or listen to) four books to be entered in a drawing for prizes at my local branch. A grand prize of a $50 gift certificate to a restaurant of the winner’s choice will be drawn from all branch entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.