Saturday, February 13, 2016

2016: Year of knitting hats

Several rows of knitting in-the-round on circular knitting needles atop 'leaf-green' skein of yarn
I am resolved that 2016 will be the year of knitting hats.

My first project is “Rolled-Brim Hat” by Karen Turcotte from Knitting for Peace by Betty Christiansen (Stewart, Tabori and Chang, 2006).

This is my first attempt at constructing a hat on needles, but it is technically not my first knitted hat. I created several others with a knitting loom, which allowed me freedom to explore the craft when I had not yet mastered the needles.

I feel good about tackling the project at this point in my knitting career.

The fabric’s noticeably different between worsted-weight needle knitting and the chunky or super-chunky yarn weights that worked best with my knitting loom.

In 2016, I look forward to exploring the craft of needle-knitted hats. From Knitting for Peace: “A basic hat pattern like this is also a blank canvas for you to play with color, embellishment, and stitch patterns, expanding your knitting repertoire and using up odds and ends of yarn. Experiment with stripes, topknots, and pompoms--anything you think the recipient might like.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.